Filling the Document Metadata¶
Metadata contains all the information related to the document: they are its ID card. They provide essential information for its identification and its comprehension. Metadata also make the document more easily retrievable through search by other users.
Editing a document’s metadata is done in three steps (Basic Metadata, Location and Licenses, Optional Metadata). The first two steps are mandatory (no documents will be published if the required information are not provided) whereas the last one is optional.
- On the Basic Metadata page, the essential information that has to be filled is:
- The Title of the document, which should be clear and understandable;
- The Resources the document should be linked to;
- An Abstract on the document;
- The Creation/Publication/Revision dates which define the time period that is covered by the document;
- The Keywords, which should be chosen within the available list. The contributor search for available keywords by clicking on the searching bar, or on the folder logo representing, or by entering the first letters of the desired word. Key-words should be relevant to the imported document;
- The Category in which the document belongs;
- The Group to which the document is linked.
Once all the fields are filled, click on the blue button Next >> in the bottom right corner of the page.
When a document is linked to some resources, you can see that link on the Resource Page.
It will be also visible on the Document Information page.
- On the Location and Licenses page, the following information should be filled:
- The Language of the document;
- The Regions, which informs on the spatial extent covered by the document. Proposed extents cover the following scales: global, continental, regional, national;
- The Data Quality statement (general explanation of the data producer’s knowledge about the lineage of a dataset);
- Potential Restrictions to sharing the document should be provided in the Restrictions box.
Click on the blue button Next >> to go ahead to the next step.
- On the Optional Metadata page, complementary information can be added:
- The Edition to indicate the reference or the source of the document;
- The Purpose of the document and its objectives;
- Any Supplemental information that can provide a better understanding of the uploaded document;
- The Maintenance frequency of the document;
- The Spatial representation type used.
Responsible Parties, Owner and Permissions are listed on the right side of the page, you can edit them.If all the mandatory information is filled out the document can be published, if not the
Completenessprogress bar warns you that something is missing.Click on the blue button Update to save information on the system.