- ExtJS for component-based UI construction and data access
- OpenLayers for interactive mapping and other geospatial operations
- GeoExt for integrating ExtJS with OpenLayers
- GXP for providing some higher-level application building facilities on top of GeoExt, as well as improving integration with GeoServer.
- and a GeoNode-specific framework to handle some pages and services that are unique to GeoNode.
- Components - Ext components handle most interactive functionality in “regular” web pages. For example, the scrollable/sortable/filterable table on the default Search page is a Grid component. While GeoNode does use some custom components, familiarity with the idea of Components used by ExtJS is applicable in GeoNode development.
- Controls - Controls are tools for use in OpenLayers maps (such as a freehand control for drawing new geometries onto a map, or an identify control for getting information about individual features on a map.) GeoExt provides tools for using these controls as ExtJS “Actions” - operations that can be invoked as buttons or menu options or associated with other events.